Topkapi Palace Museum2012-05-31
Built by Fatih Sultan Mehmed (the conqueror of Constantinople) in 1478, Topkapi Palace was state’s administrative and educational center and the official residence of the Ottoman sultans for about 380 years until the construction of Dolmabahce Palace in the 19th Century. At the time of establishment its area was 700,000 sq m but today it sits on an area of 80,000 sq m.
Topkapi Palace was converted into a museum on the order of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, the founder of Turkey Republic, in 1924. Today, the royal treasury, imperial archives, and the Holy Relics of the Prophet Muhammad are preserved in the Topkapi Palace. It is also a great place to see famous Harems of Ottoman Sultans.
Visiting Days and Hours: Topkapi Palace Museum is open every day except Tuesdays / Open from 09:00 to 17:00
Entrance fee is to be paid, and only Turkish Lira and Credit Cards are accepted.
Telephone: +90(212) 512 04 80
Fax: +90(212) 528 59 91
Address: Sultanahmet, Fatih / ISTANBUL